HOMELESSNESS PREVENTION AND RECOVERY:
ROOTS & WINGS
Tansitional Living Center
Roots & Wings
“Roots & Wings” is the name of Project Vida’s comprehensive homelessness prevention and recovery program which includes a transitional living center, rapid re-housing, prevention, and street outreach.
Transitional Living Center
Families sheltered at the transitional living center are homeless for a variety of reasons. Some are survivors of domestic violence. Features of the transitional living center include:
- Apartment-style living quarters (6 apartments) intended to keep the family together by serving homeless single-parent families with three or more children
- Referrals received from other community homeless shelters
- Referrals wait-listed if necessary
- Individualized family case management and homelessness recovery services for up to 24 months
- Referrals by Roots & Wings case managers to Project Vida programs and services, and to other community resources as needed for all family members
- Short-term deposit, rent, and utility assistance for homeless families and individuals in El Paso County to help them move to permanent housing and prevent longer-term homelessness.
- Short-term rent and/or utility assistance for families in El Paso County at risk of eviction or disconnection of utilities in order to stabilize the living situation, keep families in their residence, and prevent homelessness.
- Families and persons living on the streets are engaged through repeated contacts and delivery of basic services
- Individualized case management
- Stabilization of services and placement in temporary or transitional housing