FAIR HOUSING IS YOUR RIGHT!
You have the right to rent or buy a place to live whether or not you have children, are disabled, come from a particular background or religion, or are LGBTQ. It’s against the law for someone to tell you ‘No!’ for any of those reasons. And it’s against the law even if they pretend it’s for some other reason.
WHAT IS FAIR HOUSING?
The Fair Housing Act prohibits discrimination in the buying, selling, rental or financing of housing based on race, familial status, national origin, color, disability, sex, religion.
IF YOU THINK YOUR RIGHTS HAVE BEEN VIOLATED, DON’T KEEP QUIET!
You can tell us and we’ll help you file a complaint. Just use the comment link on this website or
Contact: Irma Avila
915-533-7057 ext. 204
You can tell: The City of El Paso Fair Housing Officer
801 Texas Ave. 3rd Floor
El Paso, Texas 79901
You may contact the HUD Regional Office:
Fort Worth Regional Office of FHEO U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development
801 North Cherry Street, Unit #45
Fort Worth, Texas 76102
1-817-978-5900 (Toll Free) 1-888-560-8913 TTY 1-817-978-5595
HUD is ready to help with any problem of housing discrimination. If you think your rights have been violated, you may fill out a Housing Discrimination Complaint Form at the HUD website: https://portalapps.hud.gov/FHEO903/Form903/Form903Start.action. You have one year after an alleged violation to file a complaint with HUD, but you should file it as soon as possible.
WHAT TO TELL HUD:
· Your name and address
· The name and address of the person your complaint is against (the respondent)
· The address or other identification of the housing involved
· A short description of the alleged violation (the event that caused you to believe your rights were violated)
· The date(s) of the alleged violation
USEFUL LINKS OR RESOURCES:
· Department of Housing and Urban Development – Fair Housing:
· Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs – Fair Housing:
· City of El Paso – Fair Housing
· Texas RioGrande Legal Aid – Housing Discrimination: